1Biotechnology department, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
2Cellular and Molecular Biology Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Methylated and un-methylated control DNA is an important part of DNA methylation studies. Although human and mouse DNA methylation control sets are commercially available, in case of methylation studies on other species such as animals, plants, and bacteria, control sets need to be prepared. In this paper a simple method of generating methylated and un-methylated control DNA is described. Whole genome amplification and enzymatic methylation were performed to generate un-methylated and methylated DNA. The generated DNA were confirmed using methylation sensitive/dependant enzymes, and methylation specific PCR. Control reaction assays confirmed the generated methylated and un-methylated DNA.
1. Jaenisch R, Bird A. Epigenetic regulation of gene expression: how the genome integrates intrinsic and environmental signals. Nat Genet 2003;33 Suppl:245-254.
2. Rauch TA, Pfeifer GP. The MIRA method for DNA methylation analysis. Methods Mol Biol 2009;507:65-75.
3. Koukoura O, Sifakis S, Spandidos DA. DNA methylation in the human placenta and fetal growth (review). Mol Med Rep 2012;5:883-889.
4. Harrison A, Parle-McDermott A. DNA methylation: a timeline of methods and applications. Front Genet 2011;2:74.
5. Arneson N, Hughes S, Houlston R, Done S. Whole-genome amplification by improved primer extension preamplification PCR (I-PEP-PCR). CSH Protoc. 2008;2008:pdb prot4921. doi: 10.1101/pdb.prot4921.
6. Petak I, Danam RP, Tillman DM, Vernes R, Howell SR, Berczi L, Kopper L, Brent TP, Houghton JA. Hypermethylation of the gene promoter and enhancer region can regulate Fas expression and sensitivity in colon carcinoma. Cell Death Differ 2003;10:211-217.
7. Robertson KD. DNA methylation and human disease. Nat Rev Genet 2005;6:597-610.
8. Yang AS, Estecio MR, Doshi K, Kondo Y, Tajara EH, Issa JP. A simple method for estimating global DNA methylation using bisulfite PCR of repetitive DNA elements. Nucleic Acids Res 2004;32:e38.