1Faculty of Fisheries and Environmental Sciences, Gorgan University of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Iran
2School of Biological Sciences, University Sains Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
The black-striped pipefish, Syngnathus abaster, is a species of the Syngnathidae family. This study provides data on the morphometric, meristic and genetic structuring of the Caspian Sea pipefish, Syngnathus abaster. Eight morphometric characteristics based on total length and five morphometric characteristics based on standard length were analyzed. A total of 50 specimens were collected in brackish-water biotopes. The average of total length (LT) and standard length (LS) were 102.37 mm and 98.68 mm, respectively. Also in this study, DNA barcodes were expanded for Caspian Sea Black-striped pipefish, hence 652 base-pair of the cytochrome oxidase I (COI) gene was sequenced in accordance with standard DNA barcoding protocols. Since Pipefish (S. abaster) is one of the most endangered fishes in the Caspian Sea, information about its phylogenetic relationships are very rare; therefore, DNA barcoding will give a more accurate picture of the future persistence of Black-striped pipefish populations.
1.Sattari M, Shahsavani D, Shafiei SH. Systematic Icthyology. Hagh Shenas 2002, 220 pp.
2.Silva K, Monterio NM, Almada VC, Vieira MN. Early life history of Syngnathus abaster. Fish Biol 2006;68:80-86.
3.Wilson AB, Ahnesjo I, Vincent ACJ, Meyer A. The dynamics of male brooding, mating patterns, amd sex roles in pipefishes and seahorses (Family Syngnathidae). Evolution 2003;57:1374-1386.
4.Coad BW Freshwater fishes of Iran. 2012. www.briancoad.com
5.Luling KH. The Lake Siutghiol on the Romanian Black-Sea coast near Mamaia as the biotope of a freshwater population of the pipe-fish (Syngnathus nigrolineatus) (Pisces, Syngnathidae). Zoologischer Anzeiger 1983;210:155-174.
6.Movcan YV. Fauna Ukrainy (Ruby).[Fauna of Ukraine (Fishes)]. 1988. Kiev: Naukova Dumka (in Russian).
7.Vitturi R, Libertini A, Campolmi M, Calderazzo F, Mazzola A. Conventional karyotype, nucleolar organizer regions and genome size in five Mediterranean species of Syngnathidae (Pisces, Syngnathiformes). Fish Biol 1998;52:677-687.
8.Dawson CE. Syngnathidae. In Fishes of the North-eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean II (Whitehead PJP, Bauchot ML, Hureau JC, Nielsen J, Tortonose E, eds)1986; pp. 628–639. Paris: UNESCO.
9.Cakic P, Lenhardt M, Mickovic D, Sekulic N, Budakov LJ. Biometric analysis of Syngnathus abaster populations. Fish Biol 2002;60:1562-1569.
10.Berglund A, Rosenqvist G, Svensson I. Reversed sex roles and parental energy investment in zygotes of two pipefish (Syngnathidae) species. Marine Ecol Progress Ser 1986;29:209-215.
11.Franzoi P, Maccagnani R, Rossi R, Ceccherelli VU. Life cycles and feeding habits of Syngnathus taenionotus and S. abaster (Pisces, Syngnathidae) in a brackish bay of the Po River Delta (Adriatic Sea). Marine Ecol Progress Ser 1993;97:78-81.
12.Campbell BC, Able KW. Life history characteristics of the northern pipefish, Syngnathus fuscusin southern New Jersey. Estuaries 1998;21:470-475.
13. Froese, R, Pauly D. Fish Base, International center for living aquatic resources management; 2010.
14. Hajibabaei M., Smith M. A minimalist barcode can identify a specimen whose DNA is degraded. Mol Ecol Notes 2006;6:959-964.
15. Hebert PDN, Ratnasingham S. Barcoding animal life: cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 divergences among closely related species. Proc Biol Sci 2003;270:96-99.
16. Pegg GG, Sinclair B, Brisky L, Arpden WJ. MtDNA barcode identification of fish larvae in the southern Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Scientia Marina 2006;70:7-12.
17. Ward RD, Zemlak TS, Innes BH, Last PR, Hebert PDN. DNA barcoding Australia’s fish species. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London 2005;B360: 1847-1857.
18. Steinke D, Vences M, Salzburger W, Meyer A. A software tool for DNA barcoding using distance methods. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London 2005; B360, 1975-1980.
19. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.Version 2010.4.http://www.iucnredlist.org/
20. Ben Amor MM, Ben Salem M, Ben Souissi J, Capapé C. On the occurrence of the deep-snouted pipefish Syngnathus typhle Linnaeus, 1758 (Osteichthyes: Syngnathidae) in Tunisian waters (Central Mediterranean). Acta Adriat 2007;48:15-23.
21. Gürkan Ş. The Biometric Analysis of Pipefish Species from Çamaltı Lagoon (İzmir Bay, Aegean Sea). EÜ Su Ürünleri Dergisi 2008;25:53-56.
23. Tamura K, Dudley J, Nei M, Kumar S. MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol Biol Evol 2007;24:1596-1599.
24. Kimura M. A simple method for estimating evolutionary rate of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide sequences. J Mol Evol 1980;16:111-120.
25. Saitou N, Nei M. The neighbour-joining method: a new method for reconstructing evolutionary trees. Mol Biol Evol 1987;4:406-425.
26. Felsenstein J. Confidence limits on phylogenies: An approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 1985;39:783-791.
27. Mwale M, Kaiser H, Barker NP, Wilson AB, Teske AP. Identification of a uniquely southern African clade of coastal pipefishes Syngnathus spp. Fish Biol 2013;82:2045-2062.
28. Nei M, Kumar S. Molecular Evolution and Phylogenetics. Oxford University Press, New York 2000.
29. Baillie J, Groombridge B. IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals. Gland: The World Conservation Union 1996.
30. Franičevič M, Sinovčić G, Čikeś V, Zorica B. Biometry analysis of the Atlantic bonito, Sardasarda (Bloch,1753) in the Adriatic Sea. Acta Adriatica 2005;46:213-222.
31. Alaya HB, Sanna D, Casu M, Biagi F, Francalacci P, Carcupino M, Galzin R, Quignard J, Trabelsi M. Analysis of meristic and mitochondrial DNA variation in Syngnathus abaster (Teleostea: Syngnathidae) from two western Mediterranean lagoons. Biologia 2011;66:1140-1147.
32. Thangaraj M, A. Lipton. Morphological characterization of four selected seahorse species (Genus: Hippocampus) from India. Ann Biol Res 2011;2:159-167.
33. Steinke D, Zemlak TS, Hebert PDN. Barcoding Nemo: DNA-Based Identifications for the Ornamental Fish Trade. PLoS ONE 2009;4:1-5.
34. Wong LL, Peatman E, Lu J, Kucuktas H, He,S, Zhou, Ch., Na-nakorn, U., Liu, Zh. DNA Barcoding of Catfish: Species authentication and phylogenetic assessment. PLoS ONE 2011;6:1-7.