1Department of biotechnology, faculty of agriculture, shahid bahonar university of kerman, kerman, Iran
2Department of biotechnology, college of agricult, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman, Kerman, Iran
3Department of biotechnology, faculty of agriculture, shahid bahonar university of Kerman, Kerman, Iran
4Department of horticulture, faculty of agriculture, shahid bahonar university of kerman, kerman, Iran
Sodium/proton exchangers (NHX) are key players in plant responses to salinity and have a central role in establishing ion homeostasis. NHXs can be localized in tonoplast or plasma membranes, where they exchange sodium ions for protons, resulting in the removal of ions from the cytosol into vacuole or extracellular spaces. In the present study, the expression pattern of the gene encoding Na+/H+ antiporter in the vacuolar membrane (NHX1 gene) in Leptochloa fusca (Kallar grass) was measured by a semi-quantitative RT-PCR method under different treatments of NaCl and CdCl2. Results indicated that NaCl positively affected expression levels of LfNHX1, and that the amount of LfNHX1 mRNA increased in conjunction with the rise of salinity pressure, This finding suggests that vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporter might play an important role in the salt tolerance ability of kallar grass. The results also showed that cadmium exposure significantly modulated the mRNA expression of the LfNHX1 gene, suggesting that cadmium exposure disturbed Na+ homeostasis across the tonoplast and decreased the salt tolerance ability of kallar grass.
1. Wang H, Tang X, Shao C, Shao H, Wang L. Molecular cloning and bioinformatics analysis of a new plasma membrane Na+/H+ antiporter gene from the halophyte Kosteletzkya virginica. Sci World J 2014; Article ID 141675.
2. Munns R, Tester M. Mechanisms of salinity tolerance. Annu Rev Plant Biol 2008;59:651-681.
3. Mahajan S, Tuteja N. Cold, salinity and drought stresses: an overview. Arch Biochem Biophys 2005;444:139-158.
4. Hamada A, Shono M, Xia T, Ohta M, Hayashi Y, Tanaka A, Hayakawa T. Isolation and characterization of a Na+/H+ antiporter gene from the halophyte Atriplex gmelini. Plant Mol Biol 2001;46:35-42.
5. Aharon GS, Apse MP, Duan S, Hual X, Blumwald E. Characterization of a family of vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporters in Arabidopsisthaliana. Plant Soil 2003;253:245-256.
6. Shi H, Zhu JK. Regulation of expression of the vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporter gene AtNHX1 by salt stress and abscisic acid. Plant Mol Biol 2002;50:543-550.
7. Liu J, Zhang S, Dong L, Chu J. Incorporation of Na+/H+ antiporter gene from Aeluropuslittoralis confer salt tolerance in soybean (Glycinemax L.). Indian J Biochem Bio 2014;51:58-65.
8. Ji H, Pardo JM, Batelli G, Oosten MJV, Bressan RA, Li X. The salt overly sensitive (SOS) pathway: established and engineering roles. Mol Plant 2013;279:812-819.
9. Bhaskaran S, Savithramma DL. Co-expression of Pennisetumglaucum vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporter and Arabidopsis H+-pyrophosphatase enhances salt tolerance in transgenic tomato. J Exp Bot 2011;62:5561-5570.
10. Saqib M, Zorb C, Rengel Z, Schubert S. The expression of the endogenous vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporters in roots and shoots correlates positively with the salt resistance of wheat (Triticumaestivum L.). Plant Sci 2005;169:959-965.
11. Blumwald E, Poole RJ. Na+/H+ antiporter in isolated tonoplast vesicles from storage tissue of Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol 1985;78:163-167.
12. Gaxiola RA, Rao R, Sherman A, Grisafi P, Alper SL, Fink GR. The Arabidopsisthaliana proton transporters, AtNhx1 and Avp1, can function in cation detoxification in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1999;96:1480-1485.
13. Apse MP, Aharon GS, Snedden WA, Blumwald E. Salt tolerance conferred by overexpression of a vacuolar Na+/H+ antiport in Arabidopsis. Science 1999;285: 1256-1258.
14. Fukuda A, Nakamura A, Tanaka Y. Molecular cloning and expression of the Na+/H+ exchanger gene in Oryzasativa. Biochim Biophys Acta 1999;1446:149-155.
15. Ma XL, Zhang Q, Shi HZ, Zhu JK, Zhao YX, Ma CL, Zhang H. Molecular cloning and different expression of a vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporter gene in Suaeda salsa under salt stress. Biol Plantarum 2004;48:219-225.
16. Yu JN, Huang J, Wang ZN, Zhang JS, Chen SY. An Na+/H+ antiporter gene from wheat plays an important role in stress tolerance. J Biosciences 2007;32:1153-1161.
17. Qureshi RH, Salim M, Abdullah M, Pitman MG. Diplachne fusca: An Australian salt tolerant grass used in Pakistan agriculture. J Aust Inst Agri Sci 1982;48:195-199.
18. Abdullah M, Akram M, Khan A, Dqureshi RH. Internal water resources management by plants under various root environment stresses with special reference to kallar grass Leptochloa fusca. In Proceedings of National Seminar on Water Resources Development and its Management in Arid Areas. 6-8 Oct 1990, Quetta, Pakistan, 145-157.
19. Cong M, Lv J, Liu X, Zhao J, Wu H. Gene expression in Suaedasalsa after cadmium exposure. Springer Plus 2013;2:232.
20. Sandalio LM, Dalurzo HC, Gomez M, Romero-Puetras MC, Del Rio LA. Cadmium-induced changes in the growth and oxidative metabolism of pea plants. JExpBot 2001;52:2115-2126.
21. Poschenrieder C, Gunse B, Barcelo J. Influence of cadmium on water relations, stomatal-resistance, and abscisic-acid content in expanding bean leaves. Plant Physiol 1989;90:1365-1371
22. Nedjimi B, Daoud Y. Cadmium accumulation in Atriplexhalimus subsp. schweinfurthii and its influence on growth, proline, root hydraulic conductivity and nutrient uptake. Flora 2009;204:316–324
23. Gill SS, Tuteja N. Reactive oxygen species and antioxidant machinery in abiotic stress tolerance in crop plants. Plant Physiol Biochem 2010;48:909-930
24. Taherinia B, Kavousi HR, Dehghan, S. Isolation and characterization of plasma membrane Na+/H+ antiporter (SOS1) gene during salinity stress in kallar grass (Leptochloa fusca). Eurasia J Biosci 2015;9:12-20.
25. Zhang GH, Su Q, An LJ, Wu S. Characterization and expression of a vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporter gene from the monocot halophyte Aeluropuslittoralis. Plant Physiol Bioch 2008;46:117-126.
26. Yokoi S, Quintero FJ, Cubero B, Ruiz MT, Bressan RA, Hasegawa PM, Pardo JM. Differential expression and function of Arabidopsisthaliana NHX Na+/H+ antiporters in the salt stress response. Plant J 2002;30:529-539.
27. Fukuda A, Chiba K, Maeda M, Nakamura A, Maeshima M, Tanaka Y. Effect of salt and osmotic stresses on the expression of genes for the vacuolar H+-pyrophosphatase, H+ ATPase subunit A, and Na+/H+ antiporter from barley. J Exp Bot 2004;55:585-594.
28. Xing J, Wang B, Jia K, Wan S, Meng J, Guo F, Xionguo L. Isolation of Arachis hypogaea Na+/H+ antiporter and its expression analysis under salt stress. Afr J Biotechnol 2001;10:14302-14310.
29. Wang S, Zhang YD, Perez PG, Deng YW, Li ZZ, Huang DF. Isolation and characterization of a vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporter gene from Cucumismelo L. Afr J Biotechnol 2011;10:1752-1759.
30. Wang ZN, Zhang JS, Guo BH, He S, Tian AG, Chen SY. Cloning and characterization of the Na+/H+ antiporter genes from Triticumaestivum. Acta Bot Sin 2002;44:1203-1208.
31. Jha A, Joshi M, Yadav NS, Agrawal PK, Jha B. Cloning and characterization of the Salicorniabrachiata Na+/H+ antiporter gene SbNHX1 and its expression by abiotic stress. Mole Biol Rep 2011;38:1965-1973.
32. Yamaguchi T, Fukada-Tanaka S, Inagaki Y, Saito N, Yonekura-Sakakibara K, Tanaka Y, Kusumi T, Iida S. Genes encoding the vacuolar Na+/H+ exchanger and flower coloration. Plant Cell Physiol 2001;42:451-461.
33. Apse MP, Sottosanto JB, Blumwald E. Vacuolar cation/H+ exchange, ion homeostasis, and leaf development are altered in a T-DNA insertional mutant of AtNHX1, the Arabidopsis vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporter. Plant J 2003;36:229-239.
34. Khedr AHA, Serag MS, Nemat-Alla MM, El-Naga AZA, Nada RM, Quick WP, Abogadallah GM. Growth stimulation and inhibition by salt in relation to Na+ manipulating genes in xero-halophyte Atriplex halimus L. Acta Physiol Plant 2011; 33:1769-1784.
35. Blumwald E, Aharon GS, Apse MP. Sodium transport in plant cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 2000;1465:140-151.
36. Zhang HX, Blumwald E. Transgenic salt-tolerant tomato plants accumulate salt in foliage but not in fruit. Nat Biotechnol 2001;19:765-768.
37. Wang J, Zuo K, Wu W, Song J, Sun X, Lin J, Li X, Tang K. Molecular cloning and characterization of a new Na+/H+ antiporter gene from Brassica napus. DNA Sequence 2003;14:351-358.
38. Wu CA, Yang GD, Meng QW, Zheng CC. The cotton GhNHX1 gene encoding a novel putative tonoplast Na+/H+ antiporter plays an important role in salt stress. Plant Cell Physiol 2004;45:600-607.