1Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Advanced Sciences and Technologies, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
2Department of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
3Centre de Biochimie Structurale, CNRS UMR 5048, UM 1 & 2- INSERM U 1054, 29 rue de Navacelles, 34090, Montpellier, France
The insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor (IGF-1R) is a transmembrane receptor with tyrosine kinase activity. The receptor plays a critical role in cancer. Using monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) against the IGF-1R, typically blocks ligand binding and enhances down-regulation of the cell-surface IGF-1R. Some MAbs such as cixutumumab are under clinical trial investigation. Targeting multiple distinct epitopes on IGF-1R, might be an effective strategy to inhibit IGF-1R pathway in cancer. In this study, new linear B cell epitopes for the extracellular domains of IGF-1R were predicted by in silico methods using a combination of linear B cell epitope prediction web servers such as ABCpred, Bepired, BCPREDs, Bcepred and Elliprro. Moreover, Discotope, B-pred and PEPOP web server tools were employed to predict new conformational B cell epitopes. In contrast to previously reported epitopes from extracellular region of the IGF-1R, we predicted new linear P8: (RQPQDGYLYRHNYCSK) and conformational Pc4: (HYYYAGVCVPACPPNTYRFE), Ppc6: (KMCPSTGKRENNESAPDNDT) and Ppc20: (ANILSAESSDSEFMQEPSGFI) epitopes. These epitopes are useful for further study as peptide antigens to actively immune host animals to develop new MAbs. Furthermore, the epitopes can be used in peptide-based cancer vaccines design.
1. Kasuya J, Paz IB, Maddux BA, Goldfine ID, Hefta SA, Fujita-Yamaguchi Y. Characterization of human placental insulin-like growth factor-I/insulin hybrid receptors by protein microsequencing and purification. Biochemistry 1993;32: 13531-13536.
2. Ullrich A, Gray A, Tam AW, Yang-Feng T, Tsubokawa M, Collins C, Henzel W, Le Bon T, Kathuria S, Chen E. Insulin-like growth factor I receptor primary structure: comparison with insulin receptor suggests structural determinants that define functional specificity. The EMBO J 1986;5:2503.
3. Adams TE, Epa VC, Garrett TP, Ward CW. Structure and function of the type 1 insulin-like growth factor receptor. Cell Mol Life S 2000;57:1050-1093.
4. De Meyts P, Whittaker J. Structural biology of insulin and IGF1 receptors: implications for drug design. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2002;1:769-783.
5. MacDonald RG, Pfeffer SR, Coussens L, Tepper MA, Brocklebank CM, Mole JE, Anderson JK, Chen E, Czech MP, Ullrich A. A single receptor binds both insulin-like growth factor II and mannose-6-phosphate. Science 1988;239:1134-1137.
6. Riedemann J, Macaulay V. IGF1R signalling and its inhibition. Endocr-Relat Cancer 2006;13:S33-S43.
7. Doern A, Cao X, Sereno A, Reyes CL, Altshuler A, Huang F, Hession C, Flavier A, Favis M, Tran H. Characterization of inhibitory anti-insulin-like growth factor receptor antibodies with different epitope specificity and ligand-blocking properties: implications for mechanism of action in vivo. J Biol Chem 2009;284: 10254-10267.
8. Baserga R. The IGF-I receptor in cancer research. Exp Cell Res 1999;253:1-6.
9. Karamouzis MV, Papavassiliou AG. Targeting insulin-like growth factor in breast cancer therapeutics. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2012;84:8-17.
10.Chang C-H, Wang Y, Trisal P, Li R, Rossi DL, Nair A, Gupta P, Losman M, Cardillo TM, Rossi EA. Evaluation of a novel hexavalent humanized anti-IGF-1R antibody and its bivalent parental IgG in diverse cancer cell lines. PLoS One 2012;7:e44235.
11. Burtrum D, Zhu Z, Lu D, Anderson DM, Prewett M, Pereira DS, Bassi R, Abdullah R, Hooper AT, Koo H. A fully human monoclonal antibody to the insulin-like growth factor I receptor blocks ligand-dependent signaling and inhibits human tumor growth in vivo. Cancer Res 2003;63:8912-8921.
12. Hussain M, Rathkopf D, Liu G, Armstrong A, Kelly WK, Ferrari A, Hainsworth J, Joshi A, Hozak RR, Yang L, Schwartz JD, Higano CS. A randomised non-comparative phase II trial of cixutumumab (IMC-A12) or ramucirumab (IMC-1121B) plus mitoxantrone and prednisone in men with metastatic docetaxel-pretreated castration-resistant prostate cancer. Eur J Cancer 2015;51:1714-1724.
13. Von Mehren M, Britten C, Lear K, Camidge D, Wainberg Z, Pieslor P, Darif M, Harris S, Balogh K, Leong S. Phase I, dose-escalation study of BIIB022 (anti-IGF-1R antibody) in advanced solid tumors. J Clin Oncol 2010;28: (suppl; abstr 2612).
14. Haluska P, Shaw HM, Batzel GN, Yin D, Molina JR, Molife LR, Yap TA, Roberts ML, Sharma A, Gualberto A. Phase I dose escalation study of the Anti–Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I Receptor monoclonal antibody CP-751,871 in Patients with Refractory Solid Tumors. Clin Cancer Res 2007;13:5834-5840.
15. Higano C, Yu E, Whiting S, Gordon M, LoRusso P, Fox F, Katz T, Roecker J, Schwartz J. A phase I, first in man study of weekly IMC-A12, a fully human insulin like growth factor-I receptor IgG1 monoclonal antibody, in patients with advanced solid tumors. In ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings 2007;2518-Suppl:3505.
16. Tolcher AW, Sarantopoulos J, Patnaik A, Papadopoulos K, Lin C-C, Rodon J, Murphy B, Roth B, McCaffery I, Gorski KS. Phase I, pharmacokinetic, and pharmacodynamic study of AMG 479, a fully human monoclonal antibody to insulin-like growth factor receptor 1. J Clin Oncol 2009;27:5800-5807.
17. Kono K, Mizukami Y, Daigo Y, Takano A, Masuda K, Yoshida K, Tsunoda T, Kawaguchi Y, Nakamura Y, Fujii H. Vaccination with multiple peptides derived from novel cancer‐testis antigens can induce specific T‐cell responses and clinical responses in advanced esophageal cancer. Cancer Sci 2009;100:1502-1509.
18. Mohabatkar H, Kar SK. Prediction of exposed domains of envelope glycoprotein in Indian HIV-1 isolates and experimental confirmation of their immunogenicity in humans. Braz J Med Biol Res 2004;37:675-681.
19. Yang X, Yu X. An introduction to epitope prediction methods and software. Rev Med Virol 2009;19:77-96.
20. El-Manzalawy Y, Honavar V. Recent advances in B-cell epitope prediction methods. Immunome Res 2010;6 Suppl 2:S2.
21. Kringelum JV, Nielsen M, Padkjær SB, Lund O. Structural analysis of B-cell epitopes in antibody: protein complexes. Mol Immunol 2013;53:24-34.
22. Doytchinova IA, Flower DR. Quantitative approaches to computational vaccinology. Immunol Cell Biol 2002;80:270-279.
23. Blythe MJ, Flower DR. Benchmarking B cell epitope prediction: underperformance of existing methods. Protein Sci 2005;14:246-248.
24. Lollier V, Denery-Papini S, Larré C, Tessier D. A generic approach to evaluate how B-cell epitopes are surface-exposed on protein structures. Mol Immunol 2011;48: 577-585.
25. Kyte J, Doolittle RF. A simple method for displaying the hydropathic character of a protein. J Mol Biol 1982;157:105-132.
26. Broder CC, Earl PL, Long D, Abedon ST, Moss B, Doms RW. Antigenic implications of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 envelope quaternary structure: oligomer-specific and -sensitive monoclonal antibodies. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1994;91:11699-11703.
28. Keyhanfar M, Booker GW, Whittaker J, Wallace JC, Forbes BE. Precise mapping of an IGF-I-binding site on the IGF-1R. Biochem J 2007;401:269-277.
29. Dong J, Demarest SJ, Sereno A, Tamraz S, Langley E, Doern A, Snipas T, Perron K, Joseph I, Glaser SM. Combination of two insulin-like growth factor-I receptor inhibitory antibodies targeting distinct epitopes leads to an enhanced antitumor response. Mol Cancer Ther 2010;9:2593-2604.
30. Cecil DL, Park KH, Gad E, Childs JS, Higgins DM, Plymate SR, Disis ML. T-helper I immunity, specific for the breast cancer antigen insulin-like growth factor-I receptor (IGF-IR), is associated with increased adiposity. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2013;139:657-665.
31. Saha S, Raghava G. BcePred: Prediction of continuous B-cell epitopes in antigenic sequences using physico-chemical properties. In: Proceedings of Artificial Immune Systems, Third International Conference, ICARIS 2004, Springer, 2004;197-204.
32. Saha S, Raghava G. Prediction of continuous B‐cell epitopes in an antigen using recurrent neural network. Proteins 2006;65:40-48.
33. Larsen JE, Lund O, Nielsen M. Improved method for predicting linear B-cell epitopes. Immunome Res 2006;2:2.
34. EL‐Manzalawy Y, Dobbs D, Honavar V. Predicting linear B‐cell epitopes using string kernels. J Mol Recognit 2008;21: 243-255.
35. Ponomarenko J, Bui H-H, Li W, Fusseder N, Bourne PE, Sette A, Peters B. ElliPro: a new structure-based tool for the prediction of antibody epitopes. BMC Bioinformatics 2008;9:514.
36. Roy A, Kucukural A, Zhang Y. I-TASSER: a unified platform for automated protein structure and function prediction. Nat Protoc 2010;5: 725-738.
37. Eswar N, Webb B, Marti-Renom MA, Madhusudhan MS, Eramian D, Shen MY, Pieper U, Sali A. Comparative protein structure modeling using Modeller. Curr Protoc Bioinformatics 2006;15: 5.6.1-5.6.30.
38.Bhattacharya D, Cheng J. 3Drefine: Consistent protein structure refinement by optimizing hydrogen bonding network and atomic‐level energy minimization. Proteins 2013;81:119-131.
39. Benkert P, Tosatto SC, Schomburg D. QMEAN: A comprehensive scoring function for model quality assessment. Proteins 2008;71:261-277.
40.Wiederstein M, Sippl MJ. ProSA-web: interactive web service for the recognition of errors in three-dimensional structures of proteins. Nucleic acids Res 2007;35: W407-W410.
41. Kringelum JV, Lundegaard C, Lund O, Nielsen M. Reliable B cell epitope predictions: impacts of method development and improved benchmarking. PLoS Comput Biol 2012;8:e1002829.
42. Giacò L, Amicosante M, Fraziano M, Gherardini PF, Ausiello G, Helmer-Citterich M, Colizzi V, Cabibbo A. B-Pred, a structure based B-cell epitopes prediction server. Adv Appl Bioinform Chem 2012;5:11-21.
43. Hubbard S, Thornton J. ‘NACCESS’, Computer Program. Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. University College London 1993.
44. Petersen B, Petersen TN, Andersen P, Nielsen M, Lundegaard C. A generic method for assignment of reliability scores applied to solvent accessibility predictions. BMC Struct Biol 2009;9:51.
45. Moreau V, Fleury C, Piquer D, Nguyen C, Novali N, Villard S, Laune D, Granier C, Molina F. PEPOP: computational design of immunogenic peptides. BMC Bioinformatics 2008;9:71.
46. Lebreton A, Simon N, Moreau V, Demolombe V, Cayzac C, Nguyen C, Schved JF, Granier C, Lavigne-Lissalde G. Computer-predicted peptides that mimic discontinuous epitopes on the A2 domain of factor VIII. Haemophilia 2015;21:193-201.
47. Cole KS, Steckbeck JD, Rowles JL, Desrosiers RC, Montelaro RC. Removal of N-linked glycosylation sites in the V1 region of simian immunodeficiency virus gp120 results in redirection of B-cell responses to V3. J Virol 2004;78:1525-1539.
48.Yasser E-M, Honavar V. Recent advances in B-cell epitope prediction methods. Immunome Res 2010;6:S2.
49. Gustafson TA, Rutter WJ. The cysteine-rich domains of the insulin and insulin-like growth factor I receptors are primary determinants of hormone binding specificity. Evidence from receptor chimeras. J Biol Chem 1990;265:18663-18667.
50. Kull F, Jacobs S, Su Y, Svoboda M, Van Wyk J, Cuatrecasas P. Monoclonal antibodies to receptors for insulin and somatomedin-C. J Biol Chem 1983;258:6561-6566.
51. Main ER, Lowe AR, Mochrie SG, Jackson SE, Regan L. A recurring theme in protein engineering: the design, stability and folding of repeat proteins. Currt Opin Struc Biol 2005;15:464-471.
52. Soos M, Field C, Lammers R, Ullrich A, Zhang B, Roth R, Andersen A, Kjeldsen T, Siddle K. A panel of monoclonal antibodies for the type I insulin-like growth factor receptor. Epitope mapping, effects on ligand binding, and biological activity. J Biol Chem 1992;267:12955-12963.
53. Mohabatkar H. Prediction of epitopes and structural properties of Iranian HPV-16 E6 by bioinformatics methods. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2007;8:602-606.
54. Mahdavi M, Mohabatkar H, Keyhanfar M, Dehkordi AJ, Rabbani M. Linear and conformational B cell epitope prediction of the HER 2 ECD-subdomain III by in silico methods. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2012;13:3053-3059.