1Medical Biology Research Center, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences, Kermanshah, Iran
2Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Medical School, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences, Kermanshah, Iran
The variants of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) and matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) genes might be involved in the pathogenesis of end stage renal disease (ESRD) and hypertension. We studied the ACE insertion/deletion (I/D) and MMP-7 A-181G variants in 99 unrelated ESRD patients and 117 individuals without renal complications from Western Iran with Kurdish ethnic background. The frequency of ACE I/D variants was not significantly different between ESRD patients and controls. However, the presence of ACE D allele increased the risk of hypertension in ESRD patients by 2.14-fold (P=0.036). The MMP-7 -181 AG genotype increased the risk of ESRD by 2.04 times (P=0.026). The present study indicated the absence of an association between the ACE I/D polymorphism with the risk of ESRD. However, the ACE D allele increased the risk of hypertension in ESRD patients. Also, the present study suggests a role for MMP-7 AG genotype in the pathogenesis of ESRD.
1. Elshamaa MF, Sabry SM, Bazaraa HM, Koura HM, Elghoroury EA, Kantoush NA,Thabet EH, Abd-El Haleem DA. Genetic polymorphism of ACE and the angiotensin II type1 receptor genes in children with chronic kidney disease. J Inflamm (Lond) 2011;8:20.
2. Rahimi Z, Moradi M, Nasri H. A systematic review of the role of rennin angiotensin aldosterone system genes in diabetes mellitus. J Res Med Sci 2014;19:1090-1098.
3. Felehgari V, Rahimi Z, Mozafari H, Vaisi-Raygani A. ACE gene polymorphism and serum ACE activity in Iranians type II diabetic patients with macroalbuminuria. Mol Cell Biochem 2011;346:23-30.
4. Rahimi Z. The role of renin angiotensin aldosterone system genes in diabetic nephropathy. Can J Diabetes 2016; 40: 178-183.
5. Saadat M. Distribution of ACE insertion/deletion (I/D) polymorphism in Iranian populations. Mol Biol Res Commun 2015;4:63-66
8. Zhou TB, Yin SS, Qin YH. Association between angiotensin-converting enzyme insertion/deletion gene polymorphism and end-stage renal disease susceptibility. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst 2014;15:22-31.
9. Buraczynska M, Ksiazek P, Drop W, Zaluska W, Spasiewicz D, Ksiazek A. Genetic polymorphisms of the renin-angiotensin system in end-stage renal disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006;21:979-983.
10. Rahimi Z, Kazemian L, Malek-Khosravi S, Najafi F, Rahimi Z. Matrix metalloproteinase-7 A-181G and its interaction with matrix metalloproteinase-9 C-1562T polymorphism in preeclamptic patients: association with malondialdehyde level and severe preeclampsia. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2015;291:45-51.
11. Han SS, Lee H, Oh YJ, Lee JP, Kim S, Ha J, Kim SJ, Park MH, Kim YS, Kim DK. Identification of the effects of aging-related gene-matrix metalloproteinase on allograft outcomes in kidney transplantation. Transplant Proc 2013;45:2158-2164.
12. Rahimi Z, Hasanvand A, Fellehgary V. Interaction of MTHFR 1298C with ACE D allele augments the risk of diabetic nephropathy in Western Iran. DNA Cell Biol 2012;31:553-559.
14. Anbazhagan K, Sampathkumar K, Ramakrishnan M, Gomathi P, Gomathi S, Selvam GS. Analysis of polymorphism in renin angiotensin system and other related genes in South Indian chronic kidney disease patients. Clin Chim Acta 2009;406: 108-112.
15. Reich HN, Landolt-Marticorena C, Boutros PC, John R, Wither J, Fortin PR, Yang S, Scholey JW, Herzenberg AM. Molecular markers of injury in kidney biopsy specimens of patients with lupus nephritis. J Mol Diagn 2011;13:143-151.
16. Jovanovic V, Dugast AS, Heslan JM, Ashton-Chess J, Giral M, Degauque N, Moreau A, Pallier A, Chiffoleau E, Lair D, Usal C, Smit H, Vanhove B, Soulillou JP, Brouard S. Implication of matrix metalloproteinase 7 and the noncanonical wingless-type signaling pathway in a model of kidney allograft tolerance induced by the administration of anti-donor class II antibodies. J Immunol 2008;180:1317-1325.